Tuesday, July 21, 2009

417. Spenger's in 1993 Berkeley for working fish....

417.

Published news story by Lurene Helzer, date unavailable on clip but estimated to be about 1993-1994, Berkeley Daily Planet, “New owners for Spenger’s; Former employees inquire into job opportunities”. When I read this work again today, I think of two things.

First, it seems like a labor union ad in itself, propaganda for the table staff of a popular restaurant, Spenger’s. That does not mean the quotes are not genuine and such, but it means those quoted seem like they’re talking from Chicago rather than Berkeley. I did not often get a chance to write stories like this, so it was different for me. I really liked the short assignment.

Second, it reminds me of the editor who sent me out on the story, Rob Cunningham. In 2009, I can’t say my memories of him are terribly detailed, but they don’t need much detail. I remember not clicking with him. He seemed to have what I call the Frustrated English Major syndrome. As a writer, I dislike working with these guys.

I don’t know how many news writers may ever read or need these comments, but let these words serve as notice: Many of those with degrees in English, a few years after finishing college, can’t get a cool job, can’t sell their great novel, so consequently are ready to pick an old class fight of some kind. They always stand near you with an unmistakable tone of resentment in the newsroom. They seemed to carry an air of intellectual superiority.

And who are you? You’re the dog.

Not that this is part of the old Berkeley story, but see the frustrated English major’s body language/posture as a message in itself, the acidic message that is granting you – out of sympathy -- gainful employment. Hear it this way:

“You happen to be writing for our newspaper right now, yes. But, if I had my way, you’d be dressed appropriately. That is, as the illiterate DOG with COSMETICS you ARE in this town, delivering the news between YOUR TEETH at 6 a.m. with the rest of your little friends on Bancroft Way….”

No comments:

Post a Comment