Tuesday, March 23, 2010

461. History of physics notes

461.


Undated, unpublished reading notes by Lurene Helzer, undated, but likely early 2004 notes. The book (on tape) was “Simply Einstein: Relativity Demystified” by Richard Wolfson, published in late 2003 by W.W. Norton and Co. in New York.

Email Lurene in 2014 at lurenexyz@gmail.com

I do not remember why I decided to check out the Wolfson book, but I was obviously looking for something energizing to read in early 2004. I found these notes in scrap box just today, February 28, 2010.

I like such notes for my blogs because it gives people an opportunity to discover the magic of physics and philosophy. While taking these fun notes in 2004, I felt like a child watching cartoons Saturday morning.

I studied relativity while at the Hebrew University as a visiting student in Jerusalem. It was a summary course for science-outsiders like me; I did some routine study, but no memorable writing about physics or Albert Einstein while in school.

But the Hebrew University course planted with me a genuine interest in physics and, by extension, philosophy. Physics and philosophy are closely related, as this book cheerfully reminded me once again. (See "Genesis" blog for notes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment